skip to main |
skip to sidebar
What I had planned to finish in a week ended up spreading out over a month - my first custom furniture piece! My dream to one day be self sufficient motivated me to try this project out... Not too shabby for a first timer, eh? Not too shabby indeed.
With Liz's design in hand, and with her assistance and knowledge, we set off to Home Depot to buy the materials.
The stand started off as several sheets of MDF.
Using my dad's old circular saw and saw guide, I cut up all of the pieces required to build the stand. This involved a lot of tedious triple and quadruple measuring.
Taking advantage of a 50% sale going on at Canadian Tire, I picked up a cheap router and made a whole bunch of dado joints (thanks, google, for teaching me about dado joints).
The drawers were then glued and dadoed (such a verb?) together and left to dry.
The next step was putting together the body, which wasn't as easy as I was hoping it would be since each piece wasn't cut perfectly (limits of a circular saw vs table saw... and possibly also my first timer skills...). Once that was all dry, I painted it and put the rest of the drawers together.
Knife hinges from Lee Valley were used to create a drop down inset drawer for the dvd player.
In the end, I was pretty excited about the final project. It's not perfect... I got lazy and impatient in the end and didn't finish up things for a better clean look, but I'm still happy with it! Thanks to Liz for designing this piece!
Next project - sewing a pair of cool-ass jeans for Liz.
0 comments: